INCA TRAIL TO MACHUPICCHU 2 DAYS
02 DAYS | 01 NIGHT
The trip starts at km 104 (104 km along the rail line from Cusco) and lasts a four-hour uphill walk to Wiñay Wayna and a few more hours to Machu Picchu, ideal for hikers looking to explore at least part of the Inca Trail. but you don't have the time (or energy) to complete a full 4-day trip.
As with the 4 day version of the Inca Trail, regulations introduced in 2002 prevented individuals from making the journey alone. Most of the new rules apply to 2-day trips.
In the past, hikers could always spend the first night of a hike at a basic inn in Wiñay Wayna. However, due to many complaints about the standard and cleanliness of this hostel, the hostel closed at the end of 2004. This means hikers must now continue the trek to Machu Picchu and spend the night in a hotel in Aguas Calientes. The groups then return to Machu Picchu for a guided tour on day two.
This route is rated as average and should only be taken by people who are physically fit and exercise regularly. The trek starts at 2100m (KM 104) and climbs to 2700m (Wiñay Wayna) before descending to 2400m (Machu Picchu). Since the trek is done at a much lower altitude than the short 2-day trek on the Inca Trail, you don't have to worry as much about acclimatization, although many people still feel out of breath when they reach Wiñay Wayna, as So this trip certainly shouldn't be considered an easy choice.
Other than the waterfall right in front of Wiñay Wayna, there is no other place to fill your water bottle (filter it before drinking). Therefore, you should start your hiking trip with at least 1.5 liters of water.
ITINERARY INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS
INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS
Cusco - Wiñayhuayna - Hot Waters
Pick up from the hotel, departure by bus from Cusco to Ollantaytambo, train trip to km 104, walk, lunch in Wiñayhuayna, walk to Machu Picchu, dinner and overnight in Aguas Calientes.
INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS
Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu - Cusco
Breakfast at the hotel, travel by bus to Machu Picchu, guided tour of the Inca city, return to Aguas Calientes and, finally, travel to Cusco by bus and train.
DAY 1: Cusco – Km 104 | Macchu Picchu
Trekking Km 104 “Chachabamba to Inti Punku, the Sun Gate”
Today our trek takes us along the most impressive stretch of the Inca Trail 2 days. We'll visit beautiful Inca sites, see a variety of flora and fauna and get to take in the fantastic panoramas of the Andes mountains. Covering 16 km of the trail our journey begins in the Sacred Valley and works its way up along an original Inca Trail to the Inca site of Wiñay Wayna before continuing on to Machu Picchu via the Sun Gate (Inti Punku).
As we make our way to Machu Picchu we'll pass through the lush and verdant cloud forest that covers the mountain and get to see a variety of plants, flowers and birds along the way. We may also see some larger mammals such as Viscachas (rabbit-like Chinchillas) and Spectacled Bears (if we are very lucky).
After a full day trekking we'll arrive to the Sun Gate (Inti Punku) in the late afternoon and get our first views of Machu Picchu spread out on the mountain below. The light at this time of day is great for photos because there are few tourists so it's a perfect time to take some pictures of the site. After we've passed through the Sun Gate, we'll carry on along the trail a little way before taking a side trail that leads us to Aguas Calientes, in the valley below where we'll check in to our hotel.
Meals: Box Lunch and dinner.
Accommodation: Hotel, “Camping on request”.
Distance: 16 kms / 10 mls (6 hours more or less of hiking)
Difficulty: Easy / Moderate.
Walking Time: Approximately 6 hours (including picnic lunch en route)
Walk and Terrain: Walk, canter on open roads, some steep ascending trails
DAY 2 : Machupicchu “The Sunrise Experience” - Cusco
Waking up early (04:00am) we’ll take one of the first buses back up to Machu Picchu to enter the site as soon as it opens (06:00am) we’ll have 2-hours guided tour in the site where you'll learn about the Incas and visit all the most important areas of the citadel. After your tour, you'll have free time to explore the site by yourself and if you have permits to climb either Huayna Picchu (2 hours round trip) or Machu Picchu Mountain (3 hours round trip).
You will also have time to indulge in a few of the following activities on your own if you choose (not included in the price)
- Climb up Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain and appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu from there.
- Other optional activities in Aguas Calientes include a visit to the new local museum or bathe in the hot springs.
Back to Cusco: You will descend to Aguas Calientes by bus (included) and later board the Expedition train to the Ollantaytambo Train Station “Train departure time can vary according train schedule and availability”. In Ollantaytambo Train station you will meet our private van and be transferred to your hotel in Cusco.
Distance: 8.9 kms / 5.5 mls “By Bus in 25 minutes”
*** Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountains hike depends on availability; please let us know if you want to add one of these extra hikes at the time of your booking.
*** We only take ITEP EcoTravel clients in our vans / cars – We do not use public transport.
About Machu Picchu Hotels:
Please note: Hotels may change (be different accordind your request) depending on booking time and availability; Campsite for Inca Trail 2 days also is possible, we just need to follow Machupicchu government conditions or on restrictions undertaken for safety reasons by the Peruvian Government.
Include Inca Trail 2 days
- Pre-departure briefing: You will meet your royal Inca Trail 2 days guide and group in our office for an orientation before your trek. The meeting will be at 6:00 PM, the evening before the trip begins. In case you can´t come at this time “please let us know” to coordinate another time.
- Touristic Transport: You will be picked up from your hotel in Cusco in the morning and will travel by private transportation to Ollantaytambo Train Station.
- Touristic Train Expedition Service: Train leaves from Ollantaytambo Train Station until Chachabamba “Km 104” the starting point of the Short Inca Trail Tour to Machupicchu 2 days. Optional upgrade for Vistadome Train at extra cost.
- Adventure Experienced Short Inca Trail 2 days Guide: English speaking, professionally educated, and official tour guide with tourism certification. They all grew up in this region and have a true passion to teach others about their heritage. Your guide will explain the culture and surroundings along the entire route, including leading your group in ancient ceremonies! He or she will keep you safe and comfortable on your trek so you can enjoy your time along the Inca path and will ensure that you are safe and happy.
- Tour Guide in Machupicchu Cultural Experienced: English speaking, professionally educated, and official tour guide with tourism certification. For visit the sacred city of Machupicchu.
- Overnight in Machupicchu Village: Each hotel is carefully choosed for having a very local experience “please check options”.
- Night 2: The 1st night in hotel is not included, which is in the town of Aguas Calientes; it’s also known as Machupicchu Village; prices of hotels will vary according to your expectations and budget.
- Entry ticket to The Short Inca Trail 2 days “Sun Gate to Machupicchu”
- Entry ticket to Machu Picchu Inka Site
- Meals: 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost) Please be in mind (1st breakfast and last lunch after Machupicchu on 2nd day of trek is not included”
- Water: Inka Trail Expeditions will supply all the water needed only at our office in Cusco “for your 1st day trek”, after you arrive to Machupicchu Village/Aguas Calientes, you will be able to find plenty shops and restaurants. You must supply your own water bottles or camel back. We recommend carrying about 3L worth.
- Medical kit and Oxygen bottle: Our crew will bring a first-aid kit, including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Train tickets back: From Aguas Calientes “Machupicchu village” to Ollantaytambo train station (departure time is confirmed the day of briefing and it´s subject to availability)
- Transfer back to Cusco: Private touristic transport from Ollantaytambo train station to your hotel in Cusco (Day 2)
- 24-hour guest service: We have telephone service available 24 hours/day for easy communication and preparation with the agency leading up to your trek.
Not Included Inca Trail 2 days:
- Walking Sticks: You can rent a set from our company if you would like.
- Day 1: Breakfast: Approx. 5 usd to 10 usd, Price can vary according your selection.
- Meals in Machupicchu village: Lunch and Dinner in Aguas Calientes. Approx. 20 usd to 25 usd, Price can vary according your selection.
- Personal clothing and gear
- Travel Insurance
- Tips for our staff: Please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish “Recommendation 6 usd to 8 usd per day per traveler for all the trek staff”- Once again it is optional and can vary according your satisfaction.
- Additional costs or delays out of control of the management (landscape, bad weather condition, itinerary modification due to a safety concern, illness, change of government policy, political instability/strike, etc.)
Thank you for choosing ITEP “Imperios Travel Experiences Peru"!
With ITEP “Imperios Travel Experiences Peru” every step is a great Adventure!!! Working hard for create a Memorable Lifetime Experience for you!!!.
STUDENT DISCOUNT: $20 off per person
Student discounts apply to anyone who has a valid UNIVERSITY STUDENT CARD at the time of the trek or who is 17-years-old or younger. For those using a university student card to receive the discount, we need to see a copy of the card at booking. For those booking children 17-years-old or younger, we need a copy of their passport at booking time. Please send us a copy of your student card
There are several optional upgrades you can include in this trip. Below is a quick list of it, but check our Overview section for more details.
- Walking Poles –$15 USD per pair per trek (Professional Poles that can be extended)
- Vistadome Train Upgrade “Panoramic train” –$80 USD per person (Return Only)
- Huayna Picchu Sacred Mountain –$75 USD per person (Please request when you book your Trek)
- Machu Picchu Sacred Mountain – $75 USD per person (Please request when you book your Trek)
- Buffet Lunch Celebration in Santuary Lodge on the last day in Machupicchu. $40 USD per person (all fresh drinks are included).
- Walking sticks (15 $ for a pair of sticks).
- Extra porter for personal items (60$ for 7 Kilos – max. 7 Kilos).
- Upgrade to Single room in Aguas Calientes (35$) pr 01 night.
- Upgrade to Vistadome train (80$ ).
- Entrance ticket to Huayna Picchu (75$) – There is only a limited space at Huayna Picchu (400 persons per day), so it is a good idea to book in advance.
- We can help you to book hotels (standard and luxury) in whole Peru.
Hotels in Cusco: no matter what the standard you would like (Standard, Economy, First Class, or Luxury) you should ask us to book your room as we know all the different rates for every hotel in Cusco and might secure you a pretty sweet deal.
- To qualify as a student, it is necessary to have a valid ISIC card. Scan the card and email us the copy at the time of your booking. We will then offer a $20 discount per student.
- For children younger than 16, we offer a $20 discount (you also need to scan and email us a copy of the passports).
- For children younger than 7, we offer a $50 discount (same here: you need to scan and email the passports).
- Original passport (and Visa of Student if applicable).
- Walking boots.
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho.
- Warm jacket, hat and gloves.
- Comfortable trousers.
- Sun hat.
- Sun protection cream (factor 35 recommended).
- Re-usable plastic or metal water container or camel bags.
- Insect repellent.
- Personal medication.
- Camera and films.
- Torch with spare batteries (headlamps are the best).
- Optional Items to Take | Inca Trail Tour to Machu Picchu 2 Days.
- Walking stick (with rubber tip).
- Plasters and bandages.
- Extra money.
- Bathing suit (for the hot springs in Aguas Calientes) where the entrance fee at the door is US$4.
WHEN TO BOOK THE INCA TRAIL 2 DAYS
The government has strictly limited the number of people permitted on the Inca Trail 2 days (permits are issued to about 200 trekkers per day plus 300 porters these 500 permits include Inca trail 2 days). We recommend that you make a trek booking as early as possible we recommend 4 months in advance.
It's recommended to book the Inca trail to Machu Picchu 2 days in advance, before booking flight tickets and hotels, because there are limited spots to reservation for Inca trail at INC and PERU RAIL (train Tickets).